Sunday, November 1, 2015

Day 1 of NaNoWriMo

For the best 3 days, I've been nervous about this day. Not many can write a novel, let alone in 30 days.

I organized my story on a outline with ideas of initial incidents, complications, climax, and resolution for each planned chapter. I created short character sketches. I even set up the page header for the novel. On electronic paper, I was ready. But anticipation and doubt still made me worry. Can I do this?

Swallowing all that, I took my laptop into the bedroom, exhaled and began to write. I forced myself to not correct misspellings. Not to waste time over the perfect synonym. I can edit in December. For now, I had to just write.

50,000 words in 30 days! After the few hundred words, my confidence kicked in. The images that played in my head were appearing faster then I could type. My small interruptions of diaper changes and 3 year old curiosity didn't stop me. I paused to engage with my children without impatience. And when my lovely hubby took both put to the park, I enjoyed an hour of nonstop creativity. Hooray!

So far day one is a success. I have passed my daily goal of 1667 words. 1681, baby! And I might write more tonight. I figure it's best to pass my goal just in case I have days where I cannot write as much as I would like to.

1 comment: